How to PREVENT a Stuck Lightsaber Blade Plug
If you’ve ever experienced a lightsaber blade plug getting stuck in your hilt’s blade socket, you know it’s a frustrating problem. Even worse, while attempting to remove the stuck blade plug you could accidentally damage the blade plug and lightsaber hilt in the process. Prevention is always better than troubleshooting after the fact, so let’s examine a few ways to prevent a stuck a lightsaber blade plug.
EXPLORE SABER SELLERS affiliate links
This article contains affiliate links, meaning if you purchase an item through some links, then SaberSourcing may receive some money at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting current and future content!
Etsy custom sabers, stands, accessories
Entertainment Earth Force FX Elite Lightsabers
Amazon Hasbro Rey Skywalker Force FX Elite Lightsaber
Watch How to PREVENT a Stuck Lightsaber Blade Plug on YouTube
1. NEVER force a blade plug into the lightsaber blade socket
For the most part, almost any lightsaber hilt with a 1 inch diameter blade socket should be compatible almost any 1 inch diameter blade plug (make sure the length of the blade plug works with your saber’s socket depth). That said, not all 1 inch diameter blade plugs are EXACTLY 1 inch in diameter. Also, not all lightsaber hilts have an EXACTLY 1 inch diameter blade socket. NEVER force a blade plug into the blade socket just because it’s ‘supposed’ to be the same size and its ‘supposed’ to fit.
2. Sand down your blade plugs
Blade plugs that get stuck in lightsabers are only slightly too large for the blade socket. That means if you preemptively sand down the exterior of the blade plug, even just a little bit, you will minimize the likelihood of a blade plug getting stuck in the hilt.
3. Use blade plugs with a rim or lip on the top
Blade plugs featuring a lip on the top that’s slightly wider than the rest of the blade plug can’t slide down the blade socket. In the off chance a blade plug with a lip on the top does get stuck in the blade socket, you should be able to pry it out by wedging something thin between the blade plug and the top of the hilt’s emitter area.
4. Buy lightsabers with removable emitter pieces
It’s easy to remove a stuck blade plug from lightsabers with removable emitter pieces. Just unscrew the emitter piece and dislodge the blade plug with your fingers or by gently pressing a lightsaber blade through the emitter piece.
How to remove a stuck lightsaber blade plug
Lightsaber enthusiasts have many suggestions for removing stock blade plugs and try any stuck blade plug remedies carefully and at your own risk. Here are a few ideas for dealing with stuck blade plugs:
– attach very sticky tape to the top of the blade plug and try to pull it out
– chill the blade plug by holding it in front of an air conditioner vent (to construct the plastic)
– extract the blade plug with needle nosed pliers
– drill through the top of the blade plug (damages or destroys the blade plug)
– drill through blade retention screw hole or through windows in the emitter (damages or destroys blade plug)
– remove the pommel and feed a chopstick through the hilt, carefully pressing on the LED module (and avoiding wires) in order to dislodge the blade plug (only works with some styles of lightsabers)