Gray Jedi Lightsaber Colors Explained
A Gray Jedi is an individual who follows an alternative Force philosophy outside of some of the customs, traditions and teachings of Jedi. ‘Gray Jedi’ is a murky and somewhat subjective term applied to some Star Wars Legends characters. Qui-Gon Jinn, Jolee Bindo, the Imperial Knights, and the Jensaarai are all commonly cited as examples of Gray Jedi. Despite fan speculation characterizing Ahsoka Tano and Rey Skywalker as Gray Jedi, the Gray Jedi concept is not part of Star Wars Canon.
Let’s explore the concept of the Gray Jedi and some of the common Gray Jedi lightsaber colors.
RELATED LIGHTSABER SELLERS affiliate links
If you purchase an item through these links, SaberSourcing receives some money at no cost to you. Thanks for supporting SaberSourcing!
Gray Jedi in Star Wars Legends
The term Gray Jedi is applied to Star Wars Legends characters in several different ways:
1. A Gray Jedi may refer to a Force-user who operates on the edge of the light side of the Force and the dark side of the Force and use both light side and dark side Force powers without joining the dark side.
2. A Gray Jedi may refer to a Jedi that operates outside of the influence of the Jedi Council and does not adhere to the Jedi Code.
3. A Gray Jedi may refer to a Jedi that operate outside the influence of the Jedi Council and Jedi Code and toes the line of the light side and dark side of the Force like Jolee Bindo.
4. Gray Jedi may also be used in a more vague sense to refer to an unorthodox or defiant Jedi like Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn.
Gray Jedi in Star Wars Canon
The concept of Gray Jedi is not part of Star Wars Canon. “I don’t get the ‘gray Jedi’ thing,” Lucasfilm creative executive Pablo Hidalgo Tweeted in 2017. “You’re either a Jedi or you’re not. It’s like being a ‘gray vegetarian’ who eats meat.” In 2018, Matt Martin, Lucasfilm’s manager of digital content and community relations, addressed the subject. Martin Tweeted, “In Star Wars terms, dark and light are pretty clear cut and it’s safe to say Ahsoka is light.“
Gray Jedi Lightsaber Colors
Gray Jedi do not wield a lightsaber with a specific blade color. Some Gray Jedi wield lightsabers with common lightsaber blade colors like green or blue. Other Gray Jedi wield lightsabers with unusual, less common colors like yellow, orange and silver lightsabers. The Imperial Knights, a Legacy era group of Gray Jedi who serve the Emperor of the Fel Empire, all use silver lightsabers with the same hilt design.
List of Gray Jedi Characters
Jolee Bindo (green lightsaber, later blue lightsaber)
Jedi Vindicator (a philosophical school of Jedi)
Qui-Gon Jinn (green lightsaber)
Thracia Cho Leem
• Nikkos Tyris (azure lightsaber)
• Saarai-kaar (yellow lightsaber)
• Kelbis Nu (orange lightsaber)
• Jao Assam (silver lightsaber)
• Hogrum Chalk (silver lightsaber)
• Sigel Dare (silver lightsaber)
• Mohrgan Fel (silver lightsaber)
• Rand Ko (silver lightsaber)
• Ganner Krieg (silver lightsaber)
• Eshkar Niin (silver lightsaber)
• Azlyn Rae (silver lightsaber)
• Treis Sinde (silver lightsaber)
• Thared (silver lightsaber)
• Yalta Val (silver lightsaber)
• Elke Vetter (silver lightsaber)
COVER IMAGE CREDIT Lucasfilm/Disney
Image depicts Qui-Gon Jinn (left) and the Imperial Knights (right).